15 December 2008

Christmas Fun

Here are my efforts for the placecards for Christmas dinner. I made these up inspired from a popup card I received a couple of months ago from my lovely friend Julia. Julia picks the best cards and this particular card was of a roman warrior whose head popped up. I re-adapted this pop up idea into the bird, deer and tree. I then added the 3D element with the detachable wings, antlers and stars. All up I made 25 placecards and it cost me $1.20 and they are made from heavy white card. This would have to be one of the cheapest and most effective Christmas decorations I've made so far. What do you think?

I love Christmas and the lead up to it. I love the food, catching up with friends and family and just hanging out together and discussing the year in review and the plans for the next year. I come from a large family and this year is going to be a particularly big bash. We have some special visitors from France this year so hopefully they don't pass out from the heat or get carried away by the mosquitoes.

This year we are staging our Christmas dinner under the huge and beautiful liquid amber tree at my parent's house. Big plans are ahead and my eldest sister and I are going all Martha Stewart on ourselves. Our big vision at the moment is of a twinkly, white, silver, green wonderland. That's the plan anyway, I'll be sure to take some pics of our efforts. The only downside to Christmas this year is my youngest sister, Sarah, is in Germany for Christmas. Although she'll be having a fab time with her new fiance and his family, she will be missed.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

they're the coolest place cards I have ever seen. Fancy pants.

Amy C said...

these are awesome

Liesl said...

They're beautiful. They will look amazing on a Christmas table.

Kate Moore said...

Oh swoon, these are gorgeous. I finished my Christmas cards - between picking up kids and the ironing - on Sunday and have yet to post a pic of them, but they cost me about $3. They were made using stuff I already had around the house and I splurged on a piece of rice paper to add some colour and texture.

Suzy said...

They are gorgeous! Please post pictures of the finished Christmas table, it all sounds fantastic.

Jedda said...

What fantastic cards! I especially like the moose

sammy said...

The placecards are absolutely devine!!!!!! Eliza, Ethan and I are SOOOOOO excited and can't wait for the day. PS. She lurves hers.

sammy said...

The placecards are absolutely devine!!!! Ethan, Lizy & I are sooooo excited and can't wait for the day. PS. Miss Eliza lurves hers heaps.

fi said...

sounds dreamy:) love the place cards, clever lady!

Michelle said...

wow...they are DIVINE...
i love all of them...and they look like very expensive custom cards...well done...

Snippety Gibbet said...

Oh my gosh. These are beautiful! I see that you are doing tons and tons of cutting just as I am.

Sherrin said...

How have I never discovered your blog before?? It's beautiful! I could spend ages here methinks! :o)

ckillin said...

oh.
these just take my breath away.
how long did it take you to cut them out?
i can't believe the detail in them.
just the most beautiful place cards ever.
EVER!
i'm so in awe.

kitty stitch said...

these are gorgeous, love the birdy!

erika said...

wow, they look so great!!

Unknown said...

Can you let me know how you made these? Or provide a template? I live in Canada and would love to make some of these for our Christmas dinner! Cheers, Steph